In order for ad-serving systems to track clicks when displaying Flash banners, the Flash banners must be programmed to use clickTAG variables instead of pre-defined URLs. Now with “Adform Creative Toolkit” it became easier to manage banner’s clickTAGs. All you need is to define clickTAGs you are going to use and then assign them to specific objects.
When creating banner, the first dialog allows you to select option „Default clicktag“ and set landing page. If it‘s chosen Adform Creative Toolkit inserts button with instance name „defaultClicktagBtn“ and assigns clickTAG action to it. Later you can edit the landing page in section „Details“.
Click is only one type of interaction with the banner, but there are also various mouse gestures, that in a specific context might be meaningful and important to track. In order to track other than clickthrough actions banner events should be implemented. The following example will help to understand how it works.
Let’s say you are going to create a banner with a clickable button and it will have your clickTAG and a mouse over banner event:
1. Create a button symbol on Flash API stage, and give it an instance name (e.g. defaultClickTagBtn).
2. In the top menu of “Adform Creative Toolkit” panel select Content --> Manage Actions.
3. In new window press “Create New ClickTAG” button.
4. Fill all needed information about clickTAG and click “Submit” button:
5. Now in ClickTAGs list you can see your clickTAG. Also here you can Edit, Remove or Create new clickTAGs:
6. In order to create a banner event, follow similar steps to clickTAG creation:
Click the Create New Event button:
Fill in the event name (picture below)
Choose the Events radio button to see the new event and any others (with options to edit or remove – picture below)
7. After a clickTAG or event is created you have to assign them the button with an instance name: in top menu of “Adform Creative Toolkit” panel select Content --> Assign Actions.
8. In the window “Assign Actions”, choose action type „clickTAG“ and assign “Test clickTAG” to the object with instance name “TestButton”. For events - choose action type Events and assign the banner event:
Note: it is not allowed to assign clickTAG and event to the same button.
9. After you click button “Save” the main window of “Adform Creative Toolkit” shows the list of assigned actions:
10. Now it’s possible to preview the banner in a browser (by clicking the “Preview” button) or create a ZIP file which would be ready to upload to the Adform system (click the “Export” button). When exporting the project, you can choose to use the zipped archive or individual files (swf, html) separately.