Adform Content Manager allows creating a universal Flash banner which can dynamically change according to content definitions in the Adform system. When using the Adform banner elements, there is no need to physically alter the banners when the changes need to be applied to the text, various properties (colors, alignment, etc.), or graphics. Below you will find detailed instructions on how to create Adform Content Manager compatible Flash banners.
For creating Adform Content Manager banners you need to download specific Adform components. This is done by downloading and installing the Adform Creative Toolkit extension. More info about installation of this plugin can be found here.
Adform strongly recommends using Adform Creative Toolkit extension while creating banners with dynamic content. For opening this extenstion proceed to Window → Other Panels → Adform in your Flash API Top Menu. The manual of the Adform Creative Toolkit can be found here.
However, you are also able to create Adform Content Manager banners without the Adform Creative Toolkit. You should follow these stepsin order to create such banners:
1. When the Adform Creative Toolkit is installed, all the Adform components are placed in your Adobe Flash installation directory. You are able to see them by selecting Window → Components in the Top Menu.
2. Then drag and drop the AdformCore and AdformXMLManager components on the stage.
3. The AdformXMLManager component has the following methods:
- For loading a text variable value to a assigned textField:
varName - variable name in content xml at selected group;
tf – textfield instance name.
- For loading image to assigned movieClip with a preloader:
AdformXMLManager.loadFile(varName:String, mc:*, loadCompleteHandler:Function, loadProgressHandler:Function);
varName – variable name in content xml at selected group;
mc – movieClip instance name;
loadCompleteHandler – function to call when file has been loaded;
loadProgressHandler - function to call while file is loading; properties arebytesLoaded and bytesTotal.
- For retrieving variable values:
type – variable type in the context xml, possible types are: text and graphic;
name – variable name in the context xml.
Note: You are not able to access variable value until XML is completely loaded. You must listen to “AdformXMLManager.XML_LOAD_COPLETE” event.
- Adding event listener:
AdformXMLManager. addEventListener (event:String, handler:Function);
event – event name;
handler – event handle function.
4. AdformXMLManager component has an event which fires when XML is completely loaded:
AdformXMLManager. addEventListener (AdformXMLManager. XML_LOAD_COMPLETE, onXMLLoaded:Function);
5. For setting a test XML location (this is ONLY for testing purposes, while publishing final banners this method should not be used as the AdformXMLManagers find the XML automatically):
AdformXMLManager.pathToXMLFile = “url:String”
url – valid URL to a content xml. Possible values are relative (ex.: metadata.xml) or full paths.
Note: examples and events of XMLManager component can be found here.
1. The XML structure is shown below. When using a local XML for testing purposes, please make sure that the naming is correct: <root>, <TextVars> and <Graphics>.
<TextVar name="BackgroundColor" value="F3F3F3"/>
<TextVar name="Text" value="Adform Banner Elements XML Example."/>
<Graphic name="Logo" value="http://adform.com/en/images/logo.jpg" />
2. You can validate your own XML against the below Adform Content Manager DTD – Document Type Definition:
<!DOCTYPE root [
<!ELEMENT root (TextVars,Graphics,Groups)>
<!ELEMENT TextVars (TextVar+)>
<!ELEMENT TextVar EMPTY>
<!ELEMENT Graphics (Graphic+)>
<!ELEMENT Graphic EMPTY>
<!ELEMENT Groups (Group+)>
<!ELEMENT Group (TextVars,Graphics)>
<!ATTLIST root xmlns:xsi CDATA #FIXED "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchemainstance">
<!ATTLIST root xmlns:xsd CDATA #FIXED "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
<!ATTLIST TextVar name CDATA #REQUIRED>
<!ATTLIST TextVar value CDATA #REQUIRED>
<!ATTLIST Graphic name CDATA #REQUIRED>
<!ATTLIST Graphic value CDATA #REQUIRED>
<!ATTLIST Graphic assetID CDATA #REQUIRED>
<!ATTLIST Graphic av CDATA #REQUIRED>
<!ATTLIST Group name CDATA #REQUIRED>
<!ATTLIST Group id CDATA #REQUIRED>
3. You need to implement the clickTAG variable. Detailed instructions for the clickTAG implementation can be found here.
4. Banners should be compiled with the Flash 8 or a higher version. There might be pop-up blocker problems when interacting with the lower version banners in the Internet Explorer 7.
5. Test the Flash banner in the live web environment using Adform Creative Test Module.